Posted On: July 20, 2017
Don’t you hate those blistering oral ulcers? I know you hate them more than I do. Had so many of them when Lupus first stroke me. I literally couldn’t eat or drink – worst of all it was so discomforting. Later one, I came to know it’s common in lupus and associated with high lupus activity. Gosh! I hate it. Henceforth, I have got a few tips for mouth ulcer treatment in lupus just for you.
6 Basic Tips For Mouth Ulcer Treatment
- KEEP IT CLEAN: It has been so painful that even the bristles of my toothbrush hurt me. I was asked to floss only, but I can’t go without brushing. If you are like me, pick a soft baby toothbrush and a mild toothpaste and brush lightly. Don’t apply pressure. Do it twice a day.
- MOUTHWASH: Mouthwash contains alcohol can be even more painful. Pick a no-alcohol mouthwash. If it is strong for you – dilute it with some water. Follow rest of the instructions as given on the bottle. Do it twice a day.
- DRINK WATER: Sjorgen’s syndrome can overlap lupus and affect our salivary gland leaving our mouth dry. To keep our mouth hydrated and free from bad odor we must drink more than 8 glasses of water.
- EAT A BALANCED DIET: Eat nutritious and balanced meal but make sure there is no sharp edge to hurt inside of your mouth. Avoid spicy food – you won’t be able to eat them actually. Skip foods that can intensify your ulcer. If you don’t want to cry in pain, avoid hot beverages or drinks.
- KEEP YOUR STRESS LEVEL LOW: When you are happy, half of your pain vanishes. If it is an animated series that you enjoy the most or more music track, just tune into a happy stress-free mood. If you ask me what I do to keep my stress level in control, you will laugh. I do nail arts – love doing ombre, stamping and all. Then, I eat chocolate. Actually, I don’t mind adding a few pounds.
- SEE YOUR DOCTOR & DENTIST: Check with your doctor. He is the best person to prescribe the best mouth ulcer medicine for you. Don’t take any medicine without consulting him as you never know what can cause a reaction or trigger the mouth ulcers. In lupus, most of the lesions occur due to some drug reaction. For example, if you have undergone immunosuppressive medications or steroid treatment for lupus, you may develop fungal ulcers in your mouth or tongue. They can only be cured with anti-fungal medicines. Therefore, don’t neglect your oral ulcers. Rsh to see your doctor immediately.
Though it is not mandatory, I suggest you also see the dentist and establish a proper oral hygiene routine.
5 Tips For Treating Mouth Ulcers At Home
- ALOE VERA JUICE: Take an aloe leaf and cut it vertically into two. Use a clean spoon of scrap the aloe gel off the leaf. Take a cotton swab, dab it into the gel, and then on to your oral sores. Do it several times a day. It will heal quickly.
- MOUTHWASH REPLACEMENT: If you not sure which mouthwash is mild, try adding 1/2 teaspoon of sodium chloride (salt) into a cup of water and rinse your mouth with it for 30 seconds. The open wounds and abscesses will heal faster.
- IT’S HONEY TIME: Honey is rich in antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. It retains moisture in your moisture and therefore, boosts the mouth ulcer treatment process. Just apply a bit of honey over the sores using a cotton swab. Honey is good and effective for treating mouth ulcers.
- OUT OF YOUR KITCHEN: You can use fenugreek seeds or coriander seeds to treat your mouth ulcers. Just boil two teaspoons in a cup of water. Strain it and let it cool. Use this water to gurgle for at least three to four times a day.
- HOLY BASIL LEAVES: Did you know tulsi or holy basil leaves got therapeutic properties? It is… REALLY! Trying chewing a few fresh leaves of tulsi or holy basil and then drink a cup of water. It may taste a little bitter, but trust me it really works!
The mouth ulcers should go in a couple of weeks or as lupus subsides. The doctor may give you certain medicine for lupus mouth ulcers. Ask for the water-based or spray medicines – you may find the gels a bit uneasy. The tips I shared for treating mouth ulcers at home are absolutely organic and safe. They will ease your pain and physical discomfort – feel free to use them. Don’t forget to share about your experience!