Posted On: November 10, 2014
Generally a person first focus on the damage that Lupus or Systemic Lupus Erythematosus can bring to the major body organs like the kidney, heart, lungs. No doubt that is really important. But have you ever thought when it can hurt your body organs so shoddily, how harmful it could be for your oral health? Not only it can bring damage to your mouth, but also influence your overall well-being, your physical ease, and your self-confidence about your look.
Are you aware, almost quarter of Lupus warriors faces oral problems? Oral sores; those are often very painful and uncomfortable to eat. It can appear on the roof of the gums, lips or mouth. Apart from this, some of the medications (like steroids) involved in Lupus treatment can cause further oral problems. It includes oral dryness, ulcers, swelling, infections, and damage to the dentures.
However, you can easily take a very good care of your mouth and flaunt your brilliant smile without worrying about Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. But, how will you fight SLE and get that stunning smile of yours? What should you be doing?
- It is important to take proper and regular care of yourself. This includes keeping Lupus in absolute control. You know the symptoms of lupus. Take preventive steps like avoid sunlight, keep stress at bay (as much as possible), sleep enough, take your medications properly, and visit your doctor and dentist.
- Avoid the mouth dryness otherwise, it may lead to cavities, gum problems and so on.
- Have plenty of water everyday – 8 to 10 glasses of water. More water is better.
- Use mouthwash and water mixed together to keep your mouth fresh regularly.
- Avoid foods that can dehydrate you like alcohol, caffeine, salty food, tobacco and others.
- Clean your teeth regularly, possibly more often than what you do now.
- See your dentist more regularly.
- Live healthy. Be healthy.
Lupus is trying hard to overpower you. But, only you can beat it every time. Only you can win over Lupus. Make sure that your rheumatologist and dentist are well-connected. Better communication between them would only make certain you get your healthy tools for a dazzling grin. Fight SLE with a SMILE.
What else are you doing today to keep your million-dollar smile hale and hearty?